Saturday, September 25, 2010

Blog Post #5

Cover of Flat Stanley bookCover of Flat Stanley (picture book edition)
Langwitches
I read the blog and listened to the Flat Stanley podcast.  The kids sounded so excited about recording their adventures with Flat Stanley. This was very impressive. I thought the children read with great expression. In this podcast, the children were flattened by their Smartboard. Then they had to pick a place they wanted to travel. They had to research the place and answer questions about where they were, what they heard and saw on their adventure. This was definitely a great learning exercise for these little children. They were able to learn about  a lot of different places.
My son's kindergarten teacher did a similar exercise with Flat Stanley. She had his class color their own Stanley and then they mailed him to a friend or relative with a note. The note asked the receiver to please spend the day with Stanley and show him around their town. Then it requested a picture of them with Stanley and a letter stating what they did with Stanley during his visit be sent back to the original owner. It also asked for them to mail Stanley to a new place with the original letter. Every time his class received a letter and picture, the teacher shared it with the class and put a push pin on a world map to show where Stanley was visiting. I thought this was the cutest activity. I did think they were too young to understand where Stanley was traveling, but they still enjoyed receiving their mail. My son's Stanley was mailed all the way to Iceland.

Roamin' In Ancient Rome Class PhotographEagles' Nest Radio and Class Blog: 
I also listened to Eagles' Nest Radio and Class Blog:
"Roamin' with the Ancient Romans." It was very entertaining. The kids were wonderful. I loved the background music.What a great way to learn about Rome! I bet these kids learned a lot by doing this exercise. The kids read so well. I really like that it is like a radio show but in a blog.
 
Judy Scharf Podcast Collection:
Judy Scharf podcast collection is a good bookmark to have. I love the detailed list of how to create a podcast. I love that she provides examples of topics and a detailed step by step list of how to get started with your students. I love the Audacity recorder. It reminds me of old video cassette recorders that I would play and record myself singing on as a child. Now you can record yourself on the computer and even delete and edit the mistakes. Audacity is so much fun to play around with. I will look forward to doing many of these activities with my students real soon.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Lola!

    In one part you comment on how excited the kids sounded. this is one of the great things about using podcasting in the classroom, the kids get excited. Any activity where the children get to work together, be creative, record and hear their own voices, etc, is going to have a powerful impact on them. This makes the learning more meaningful and therefore more memorable.

    Your blog is looking good. Keep ut the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete