Sunday, October 31, 2010

Blogpost #10

Boy sleeping at his desk
Morgan Bayda

We were asked to read Morgan Bayda's blog post and watch Dan Brown's video http://morgbayda.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/an-open-letter-to-educators/
This is the comment I left for Morgan Bayda:
Hello, I am taking EDM310 with Dr. Strange. I am not a typical college student, I am taking this course for professional development. I graduated over 13 years ago. I think the college experience has changed since I was in school. I am assuming the classes Dan Brown thinks are boring are prerequisite classes which require memorization of useless facts. Facts that I will have to teach to the next generation of children. Hopefully, I will be able to use some of my knowledge from this class to introduce some of these useless facts in a more interesting way. Timetoast is a a great way to learn about facts. Children can create timelines about facts in history. They could learn so much researching dates, pictures, and articles to add to their timelines. I do not see this class, EDM310, as a typical college class. This technology class was not around when I was in school. Technology was just taking off when I was in college.

I read some of the replies and Nathan Lowell talks about credentials. Most jobs require credentials in order to even be considered for a position. I know for a fact that the Mobile County School System will not even look at your application if you do not have your valid teacher certificate. Where as, years ago I could have taught in Louisiana on what they called a Temporary Certificate until I became certified. That is why I am back in school taking three classes and I will soon take the content knowledge part of the praxis, which was not required 13 years ago. Most jobs require you to have some knowledge or experience in the field you are applying for.

Dan Brown may be right that school is boring, but I am not sure dropping out is the best answer. Yes, some of your millionaires of today are drop outs, but unless you have a big idea I suggest you stay in school.
Pencil
Don't Let Them Take Pencil's Home by: Tom Johnson

I enjoyed reading this blog. I know that educators are pushed to get high test scores by administration. I am glad that this person found a way to focus on the solution instead of the problem. If students play games, write stories, or draw doodles with pencils; these are all forms of learning and being creative. Giving a child a pencil with options is better than taking the pencil away.
Teacher with students
Two Questions That Can Change Your Life  By: Daniel Pink
This was a really hard assignment. My sentence would be "I plan on creating a creative and motivating learning environment that will encourage my students to become life long learners."
 
Was I better today than yesterday?
I think after every lesson we create and teach, we should use this question to evaluate ourselves. Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. I plan to use technology to teach in a more interesting way as well. I didn't know someone use to could teach with just a temporary certificate in Louisiana. I agree with you that unless you have a great idea, to stay in school. The chances of being successful without a college education is slim to none. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you really going to teach facts? My suggestion is to teach hoe to find and use facts. Asking questions and seeking solutions seem central to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Dr. Strange, I guess I meant to say that I would have the children use the timeline to find out answers to facts. Such as, my son's class recently was learning about inventions. They had to memorize each inventor and the date of the invention. I think the timetoast timeline would have been a more creative way to learn this information. She could have showed them the inventions and had them look up the information and create a timeline. She makes them make these foldables and they have to write all this information and draw picturs. That is what the text book suggests. He at first enjoyed doing the foldables because he loves to draw, but now he is required to do one for each chapter and he is getting sick of doing them. So, mixing up the curriculum a little and incorporating technology and letting them make a timeline might make learning this information more fun for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe even letting the students create a movie trailer or video to sum up the chapter, might be more interesting than doing the same old boring foldables each week. Maybe my final project should be about this type of boring teaching and ways to improve it!

    ReplyDelete